Those who identify as polyamorous "poly" or are engaged in different forms of non-monogamous relationships often hide this part of their identity out of fear of being judged, stigmatized, discriminated against or simply misunderstood. In a culture that values monogamy and coupledom - stepping outside of the norm can be scary. It can be difficult to find a therapist who is competent, sensitive, and supportive to your concerns.
As a sex-positive therapist, I believe that safe, consensual sex is a healthy, natural, exquisite part of the human experience. My sex therapy philosophy supports and encourages sexual pleasure and experimentation.
Forms of non-monogamy include, but are not limited to:
- Polyamory or "poly"
- Open marriage or open relationships
- Casual relationships or "flings"
As a non-monogamy-affirming therapist, I will not try to encourage you to change your lifestyle. I support the opportunities for personal growth and reflection that non-monogamy brings and recognize its difficulties and challenges as well.
I can offer you a sensitive, non-judgmental and supportive approach to create a safe framework to talk about your concerns. I provide a strong commitment to confidentiality always, and especially when working through intimate information. Examples of issues I can assist with include:
- Navigating changes in sexual identity or orientation
- Working through sexual health concerns
- Helping individuals and partners decide what type of non-monogamy works best for them
- Helping individuals and partners negotiate the agreements and boundaries of their relationships
- Working through the "coming out" process if/when the person is ready
- Creating sustainable polyamory
- Managing jealousy
- Improving communication
- Managing time commitments and varying schedules
- Understanding cultural differences and exploring power dynamics
- Working through infidelity, betrayal and broken trust
As a sex-positive, LGBTQIA-affirming therapist, I want you to have a healthy, rewarding and fulfilling sex life. If you and/or your partner(s) would like help and support in this area, let's talk today.